Name: Tara Olson
Course of Study: Business
Why did you choose Alverno College?
I chose to attend Alverno for the following reasons:
- The promotion of women’s leadership and educational development
- The educational standards and credibility Alverno College has around the country
- Receiving my education with and around other successful women in my position
- Flexibility of evening classes
- Beautiful campus and learning environment
- Access to new educational and professional opportunities
How has financial aid impacted your college experience?
Point blank, I would not be able to pursue higher education if it were not for the financial aid opportunities afforded to me.
What will a college degree mean to you?
It means despite the extremely difficult challenges I faced as a child and young adult, dreams can and will come true. It means reaching my full personal, educational and professional potential is within reach. It means laying a foundation and platform for my 9-year-old daughter to succeed in ways I never could. It means being the first in my family to earn a college degree.
Have you learned something during college you didn’t expect?
Good time management is a must! There are a lot of people who will support your success with guidance resources and opportunity. Learning can be fun and has helped my self-esteem.
What are your plans after graduation?
I plan to increase my salary and work towards a promotion and to continue towards a master’s degree. I also want to reach out to other young women from the neighborhood I grew up in to inspire them to pursue a college education.